Friday, December 05, 2008

Why not to use Google Chrome in your Power Savvy Laptop?

clip_image002[1]

I had previously used and tested Google chrome for its Hindi (Indic) capabilities, and had quickly abandoned since it was giving trouble here and there. Recently, after going through a report about browser share – yes, Chrome is gaining share - I tested Chrome again.

To my horror, when I opened about 8-10 tabs in Google Chrome, my laptop’s on-demand CPU cycle remain steady at 100% status and because of this, my laptop goes red-hot and its battery drained more quickly than ever. Instead of usual Two-and-half hour back-up, my laptop’s battery drained completely within an hour.

Probably, this is because, Google chrome opens a new process every time when a user opens a tab, and hence it uses your precious CPU cycle, memory and – Well, your computer’s power at an unprecedented rate.

So, beware – use Google Chrome with caution especially when you are on Battery power.

I have used Opera, Konqueror (in Linux), Firefox, Internet Explorer, Epipheny – and found that Firefox uses least CPU cycles on its heavy usage. And, if you use Opera as RSS reader, otherwise a light browser, it too become bloatware.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, did you try looking in Chrome's task manager (Shift+ESC) to see which tab or plugin was using up so much CPU? It is possible for some web sites (or some plugins) to consume a lot of CPU. Hope this helps!

Raviratlami said...

Hi, Anonymous,
A agree. But, I had found that with SIMILAR sites opened, Firefox is more efficient.

More Articles...

Translate in your own language

Want to translate this article in your own language? Just click the Flag below